Recent Fire Damage Posts

Number One Reason for Home Fires

7/21/2020 (Permalink)

The number one reason for a home fire is cooking.

According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), the number one cause of home fires is unattended cooking. You should always stay in the room while you are cooking with a heat source. If you cannot stay in the room the whole time, ask another adult in the family to watch over your food. Or turn the burner off if  you have to leave the room and no one else is home.  When cooking food for long periods of time, use a timer so you don't lose track of time.

However, accidents do happen so prepare your home and family by having a residential fire extinguisher on hand! Fire extinguishers should be placed on every floor of your home, especially in the kitchen and garage. You should also learn how to use a fire extinguisher before you need it.  If you experience a fire in your home, and you need help with cleaning and restoration, call SERVPRO of Ozaukee County at 262-242-8888.  We will provide you with a timely estimate and provide you and your family peace of mind knowing that your home will be be in the hands of experts and will be restored to preloss condition.  

Dangers of Space Heaters

7/21/2020 (Permalink)

A major cause of home fires is a space heater or other heating Equipment. 

When the weather gets cold, we may pull out the old space heater to help heat a cold bedroom, or a small area where it always seems cold.   Be sure to keep your space heater away from anything that could easily catch fire like curtains, laundry, blankets, clutter or furniture.  Space heaters can really get hot.  And if left on for a long time they can catch fire easily.  The safest thing to do is to turn the space heater off if you have to leave the room.  You can turn it back on when you return to the room.  Never leave a space heater on and unintended.  

If your house has a fire, SERVPRO of Ozaukee County is here and ready to help.  Please call 262-242-8888 and we will do everything we can to accommodate your needs. 

Buyer Beware!

7/20/2020 (Permalink)

Caveat Emptor!  Buyer Beware!  It is typically a good idea to shop around when considering a large purchase.  The internet makes this as easy as searching  “Contractors” and comparing reviews.  Choosing a reputable Contractor with the best price for your carefully detailed plans and specifications is just common sense.   And this will work when you need a Restoration Contractor to repair your fire damaged home, right?

WRONG!  Experience and training, not price, is what really counts when you have something bad happen to your property.  

First of all, each insurance company has a data base of accepted costs/values for every work item, labor and material, necessary to make your fire damaged home whole again.  Therefore, where cost is concerned, any contractor you select can only charge according to what the insurance company has already determined are fair prices and labor rates. 

The problem lies with determining an accurate, comprehensive, scope of repair.   There are no written plans and specifications to ensure you will be getting the same quality and quantity of work from each proposal.  Each contractor will visit the site and base his cost estimate on what he observes and determines will be necessary to restore the property to a preloss condition.   An inexperienced or slip shod contractor is going to miss details that are necessary or may not be aware how to properly address fire related issues such as hidden sources of odor.  The estimate that includes all the necessary work, while higher in price, will actually be the one in your best interest to choose.

You will have an adjuster assigned to your loss to make sure the scope of repair is not excessive.  But it is not his responsibility to complete a poorly written estimate.  He typically doesn’t have the time, or incentive. So, choose SERVPRO of Ozaukee County, 262-242-8888, for a fair and accurate scope of repair for your fire loss.  We have over 50 years of satisfied customers!

Things To Do After a Fire

2/10/2020 (Permalink)

After you have a fire, it is scary, and shocking.  What should you do?  Here is a basic list of things you can do while you wait for some help to arrive.

  • Cover up the carpet in heavy traffic areas with old linens or clean towels. Also, cover up your furniture with old sheets to give added protection.
  • If your electricity is off, be sure to clean out your refrigerator and freezer. Leave the doors open after cleaning to air them out.  You may want to put a box of opened baking soda inside the refrigerator.
  • Cover your chrome fixtures with Vaseline petroleum jelly or oil. The soot can damage your fixtures.
  • If you have plants in your home, both sides of the leaves will need to be washed. Don’t use harsh chemicals.  They could kill your plants.  Plain water is just fine.
  • You will want to change your HVAC filter at least once, maybe more, in the weeks that follow the fire.
  • Tape double layers of cheesecloth over the air registers.  

If you follow these tips of things to do after a fire, it will help you get a head start on the cleanup.  Please call SERVPRO OF OZAUKEE COUNTY if we can help you with the cleanup.  We are here 24/7.  Call 262-242-8888.

Things Not to do After a Fire

2/10/2020 (Permalink)

There are several things that you should not do after a house fire.  Once the fire is out and you are back in your house, be careful not to do the following things.

  • Don’t walk through the soot or spread it around. It can get embedded into carpets and upholstery making it more difficult to clean.
  • Try not to touch anything. You don’t want to spread the soot around.
  • Don’t start washing your walls or painted surfaces. There is a right way to accomplish this without creating more problems.
  • Don’t shampoo your carpet or upholstery. Great care must be given when cleaning soot. Sometimes you have to clean carpets or furniture two or three times.
  • Don’t attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been near the fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
  • Don’t use canned or packaged food or beverages that were stored near the fire, heat or water. And never eat anything from an open package.
  • Don’t turn the ceiling fans or lights on if the ceiling is wet. The wiring may have been damaged.   
  • Don’t send your clothes to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set the smoke odor into the clothes.

If you need help cleaning up after a fire, call SERVPRO of Ozaukee County at 262-242-8888.  We are available 24/7 and we will make it "Like it never even happened."

SERVPRO of Ozaukee County to the Rescue After a Fire

1/21/2020 (Permalink)

If you experience a fire in your home or building, you have enough to deal with without having to worry about cleanup or repairs.  That's where SERVPRO of Ozaukee comes in.

We offer:

If you are dealing with fire damage, the experienced team at SERVPRO of Ozaukee County is ready to respond. Since we are locally owned and operated, we are prepared to clean up damage from fires, (and the water that is left behind after the firemen leave) and are able to respond quickly. Immediate action and a fast response can limit damage, prevent secondary damage and reduce restoration costs.

Our highly trained crews have the specialized equipment and resources to handle the job, large or small, residential and commercial. Our teams are prepared with strategically located equipment in case of a fire emergency in our area, and have access to a SERVPRO large loss team ready to assist if needed.  No matter how big or small the fire is, we can handle it.  We want to make sure that you and your family are okay first; then we will get to work on cleaning, restoring and making your fire loss, "Like it never even happened."

A House Fire is Personal

7/2/2019 (Permalink)

Having your house catch on fire is one of the scariest things that can happen.  Of course, the most important thing is to get everyone to safety. The shock can be overwhelming!  Please know that SERVPRO of Ozaukee County has worked with people and families who have gone through this horrible situation.  We are here to help and will treat your fire loss as if it was our own.  We understand your needs, concerns and worries.  We will do everything in our power to accommodate your schedule.  We know how precious your time is.

Our SERVPRO technicians are trained in the appropriate techniques to clean up soot from walls and ceilings or to remove and replace appliances.  Anything that will put you and your family at ease, we will do it. And when your house is cleaned or rebuilt, you will have the satisfaction of knowing that we took great care with everything and you will be glad that you chose SERVPRO of Ozaukee County to clean up and restore your home.