Things To Do After a Fire
After you have a fire, it is scary, and shocking. What should you do? Here is a basic list of things you can do while you wait for some help to arrive.
- Cover up the carpet in heavy traffic areas with old linens or clean towels. Also, cover up your furniture with old sheets to give added protection.
- If your electricity is off, be sure to clean out your refrigerator and freezer. Leave the doors open after cleaning to air them out. You may want to put a box of opened baking soda inside the refrigerator.
- Cover your chrome fixtures with Vaseline petroleum jelly or oil. The soot can damage your fixtures.
- If you have plants in your home, both sides of the leaves will need to be washed. Don’t use harsh chemicals. They could kill your plants. Plain water is just fine.
- You will want to change your HVAC filter at least once, maybe more, in the weeks that follow the fire.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over the air registers.
If you follow these tips of things to do after a fire, it will help you get a head start on the cleanup. Please call SERVPRO OF OZAUKEE COUNTY if we can help you with the cleanup. We are here 24/7. Call 262-242-8888.